US government contractor arrested after NSA leak report — London attack: Police ‘know identities of killers’ — New South Korean president bans spy agency’s domestic operations — London attack: Third London Bridge attacker named — What you need to know about Comey’s testimony
Police investigating Saturday night’s terror attack in London say they know the identity of the three attackers who killed seven people and injured 48.
The Met Police said their names would be released “as soon as operationally possible” as officers work to establish if they were part of a wider network.
PM Theresa May said victims included a “number of nationalities”, saying it was “an attack on the free world”.
It comes as police have searched more addresses in east London.
Police said a “number of people” had been detained following the raids, in Newham and Barking.
Eleven people are being held after police raids in Barking on Sunday. One of the properties is believed to be the home of one of the attackers.
The new president of South Korea has officially banned the country’s spy agency from engaging in domestic intelligence gathering, in a move that some say signals an era of sweeping security reforms in the country.
South Korea’s intelligence agency, the National Intelligence Service (NIS) fell into disrepute in recent years, after many of its officers were found to have secretly sided with conservative political candidates for public office.
In 2015, the NIS’ former director, Won Sei-hoon, was jailed for directing intelligence officers to post online criticisms of liberal politicians.
Won headed the NIS from 2008 to 2013, during the administration of conservative President Lee Myung-bak. During the 2012 presidential elections, Won ordered a group of NIS officers to “flood the Internet” with messages accusing liberal political candidates of being “North Korean sympathizers”.
A US government contractor has been arrested on suspicion of leaking top-secret information to a news outlet.
Reality Leigh Winner, 25, allegedly removed classified material from a government facility in the US state of Georgia.
The charges were announced shortly after the Intercept published a National Security Agency briefing about alleged Russian political meddling.
The Trump administration has been railing against leaks to the media.
Ms Winner was arrested on 3 June, the justice department said.
She is a contractor with Pluribus International Corporation and had been employed at an NSA facility in Georgia since February, reports NBC News.
The accused faces a count of “gathering, transmitting or losing defence information”, according to the network.
The third London Bridge attacker has been named as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian man.
Pakistan-born Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Radouane, 30, both from Barking were the other two attackers. (…)
Butt and his two accomplices drove a hired van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people in the area around Borough Market.
All three men were shot dead by police within eight minutes of receiving a 999 call.
Butt had featured in a Channel 4 documentary The Jihadis Next Door, broadcast last year.
Radouane was a chef who also used the name Rachid Elkhdar and police said he claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan.
What you need to know about Comey’s testimony — BBC [Video]
The former FBI Director will testify in front of US Congress and comment on whether President Trump wanted him to stop investigating his connections to Russia.
INTEL TODAY DIARY — JUNE 7 2017